Saturday, December 22, 2007

Faith

In order to operate in the academic world, does one have to deny the idea of faith? The liberal arts are built around the ability to reason and appreciate education as a holistic experience. But the rational we study is human reasoning. Which has been proven fallible. (Please don't get me wrong, I am passionatly in love with the study of humanity: literature, theatre, politics, psychology, history, etc.) But is it that foolish to accept there is something greater thea yourself? Greater than humanity? That there is a higher reason. If I believe that, does that seperate me from being enveloped in academia? Am I to narrow to understand what I'm studying?

In British Literature we studied Thomas Hardy, Virginia Woolf, and George Eliot all of whom denounced Christianity. Mrs. Dalloway portrayed the one Christian character as small and irrational.

I am inevitably irrational because I have faith?

I came to college hoping to discuss religion, but I've found that several would rather not. "It's not worth it."

When I think about it, there is nothing more important to discuss.

No comments: