Sunday, December 7, 2008

Bursting

"Un conseil d'être heureux semble sortir des choses
Et monter vers le coeur troublé." -Bourget

I attempted Claude Debussy at my vocal recital tonight and the feedback has been remarkably positive. The piano, which plays in four, is in sharp contrast to the vocal arrangement, written in three. It's a challenging song for the best of singers and I feel like I did decently well. I definitely wasn't perfect, but I wasn't awful either. I'd say it was one of my best performances ever, actually. Nicole has taught me so much, I hope that she goes far with her vocal career, it is such an honor working with her.

Also, today at church Amy and I sang Silent Night in English and German. After church Dr. and Mrs. Appold took us (including mathew) to lunch at Mainstreet Cafe, my favorite place to eat in NE Missouri. We also took the long way home and stopped at old churches and a school yard. It was a unique Kirksville afternoon and I treasure taking the road not taken with a mentor and friends.

This has been an incredible semester... my life is so full of glorious cliches and I totally do not care.

Welp, must go sleep in order to (hopefully) ace all the finals!

2 comments:

Amy said...

DEAD FLIES!

emily said...

Hey Lauren! Technically, the accompaniment of Beau Soir is in three (triplets) and the voice line is just straight rhythm in 3/4 time--not the other way around. I remember Nicole telling you to try to ignore the rhythm of the piano but I’m not really sure how helpful that is. Although much of the piano line is triplets and the voice line is eighth notes, there is still an underlying beat in the song which is common to both parts. Furthermore, there are some parts in the piece during which the bass line of the piano is playing straight eighth notes which are exactly in rhythm with the notes of the singer (e.g., where one sings “un conseil de goûter le charme d’être au monde”). Perhaps it was this bass-line rhythm (absent in the beginning of the song) which made it easier for you to sing the rhythm correctly in the middle of the piece. You know, as a pianist I really value the accompaniment when singing a song. I think it is really important to know what the piano is doing when one sings. Not only to improve the singing itself, but to get a fuller understanding of the piece as a whole. But yes, it was a challenging song and you performed it so well! Mon dieu this is a long comment. =)