Thursday, March 27, 2008

What state of reality have I been living in?

Today in class my professor showed photographs of abject poverty in Africa. I have always been aware of such suffering, but I haven't been conscious of them. Usually I would say something similar to "words can't describe" or "language is futile" but that's an easy way out. For one, it prevents me from actually thinking about the issue. It allows me to slip back into an anesthetized existence. Mr. Rudzinski would constantly bring me to catharsis in his classroom. He would illustrate human suffering and fallacy and then the bell would ring and I would be purged of feelings of injustice or a call to alms. Brecht purposefully rejected his audience catharsis for that very reason. So that people would go out, pick up tools, and help.

Africa is a life experience away from me. How can I help? This feeling of complete ineptitude floods me. This is a new level, a new understanding but I don't believe I'm going to do anything about it -- that is a poverty beyond what I can bare right now. However, soon I'll be distracted. I'll go to Ward Connerly tonight and think about Affirmative Action, and then I'll get over it.

1 comment:

Faye Wray said...

WTF, Lauren? Where are the posts?
Love, the Sickie Two Floors Up